Thursday, March 5, 2015

Walmart Kitchen Table Makeover


walmart kitchen table

I am so pregnant, but I managed to sneak in one more client job before we welcome this baby to the fold. Today, we will be looking at a makeover I did for a client who just bought her first home. She is looking to make it her own without breaking the bank and wanted to start with this table and benches she got from Walmart.com. I know some of you might be skeptical about buying furniture from Walmart, but this set is really well made and all wood at an affordable price. Honestly, it is a great set as is, but she wanted to give it a little more character, so we decided to lighten and distress it up. The result is a cozy, little farmhouse table.
chalk paint kitchen table farmhouse

The top of the table had a great butcher block finish, so we decided not to touch that and just focus on the apron and legs. As with all my client pieces, I used Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan. We went with one of my favorites and a classic, Old White. Followed with lots of distressing with a 150 grit sandpaper and finished off with Annie Sloan Soft Wax in clear. I used a tiny amount of a 1:1 mix of Annie Sloan Soft Wax in dark and clear on the detailing of the legs of both the table and benches to make the aging and distressing look more natural. Cutting the dark wax with clear softens the look as opposed to using it at full strength. I highly recommend this when applying over Old White or your piece may become too muddy.  
annie sloan

annie sloan old white

annie sloan chalk paint farmhouse table

I love the way the detail of the legs pop once you lighten them up. The black hid those beautiful curves. What do you think? Are we crazy for painting a brand new piece? We don't think so!

5 comments:

  1. Who would have thought? WOW! Looking forward to going to my local Goodwill Stores! I might need to get a bigger place!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, really nice makeover! White legs look way better, indeed, and that old style makes them look really cool and fresh. I will keep that idea in mind when I need to refresh my furniture as well. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great phones and an awesome plan for yourself. If you visit the Walmart Family Mobile Social Hub http://cbi.as/3nukn you can find out when a rep will be able to assist you. They will also have free samples of Swedish Fish on site.www walmartone com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is great. It’s very interesting
    call girls London

    ReplyDelete

09 10