Thursday, July 24, 2014

Starting Small is Smart and Just as Fun

When you think about getting into painting furniture it is probably because you need a big change. You think your bedroom set would be perfect if you could lightened it up with some white paint. Or maybe you think, grandma's dining set you inherited because no one else would take it could really look great with a few coats of paint as well. While I agree with you whole heartedly, projects like these are a huge undertaking.

I have preached on here that starting small is always best. Get your feet wet and see if you like painting before you commit to painting a whole bedroom set or the like. I even tackle small pieces now and then to practice new techniques.

A client of mine gave me this little jewelry box to refinish for her daughter's room. It was the perfect opportunity for me to practice the modern finish I just learned from my class at Carter's Cottage. The best part of working with a piece this small is that if you mess up, it is super easy to just start all over again.




I loved working on this piece. I was able to work on it inside at my kitchen island a little bit each night which is very relaxing compared to tackling a whole bedroom or dining set out in the garage. Don't get me wrong. I still love taking on those big projects, but everyone can use a change of pace sometimes.



annie sloan chalk paint

The jewelry box was finished in Paris Grey with Old White accents on the hardware and a coat of Clear Wax.

Linking up at:

6 comments:

  1. Love it - as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided that I want to paint my kitchen cabinets with ASCP but knew I needed to start small. Guest bathroom vanity here I come! Oh, and I LOVE Paris Grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thinking, Jessica! Keep me posted on your projects. I love those before & afters!

      Delete
  3. I'm new to your blog (found you on YouTube last night as my daughter was sick all night), andi love your style! I have a bookshelf and coat tree waiting for me, but as a newbie, I think I will start small on an old jewelry box! Great idea! Question (not sure you will see this, but) - the jewelry box has a glossy finish - will it need to be sanded at all for the chalk paint to stay on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is super glossy, you can rough it up a bit with some medium or fine sandpaper. No need to take the finish completely off, just do a few strokes all over. Good luck! Send me some pics when you finish your piece!

      Delete

09 10