Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Goods on Mother Earth Paints

I recently shared my Girly Girl Dresser makeover for my daughter's room, and I owe you a review of the paint I used, Mother Earth Paints. The owner, Robin, contacted me and asked if I would be interested in trying out her paints and offering my honest opinion on them. Here is the Pretty Distressed low down on Mother Earth Paints.

Mother Earth Paints is based in Kansas City and was created by a former vintage store owner and avid furniture painter who had used her fair share of chalk enhanced/furniture paint. Her dream was to take her favorite properties from each paint she had come across and put them into one "does it all" paint.
pink and white dresser

This water-based, low VOC paint has a sweet smell that is not irritating at all, so you can paint in your home without a problem. I had to do three coats of each color to get the coverage I wanted. Normally, I like to only have to do two coats, but I am still saving time by not having to prime or sand the piece. I also think coverage will depend on what your are painting and your purpose, so one or two coats could work for some. I was impressed by how smooth the paint went on and how little brush strokes I saw. This paint would be perfect for those who are interested in getting a smoother, more polished finish versus a rustic thick look. 

I selected Blush and Vintage for my paint colors. The Blush color ended up drying a little brighter and less pastel than I expected, but I am still happy with the colors. The Vintage color is an off white but not too creamy. It mixes perfectly with a pure white like you see on the bead board in my daughter's room.

Distressing was also a breeze. Mother Earth can be distressed with a wet sponge or sandpaper. I typically work with sandpaper, so I did the same on this piece. This paint is perfect for creating shabby chic pieces, and you only need a light hand to distress.
distressed white pink dresser

To finish off the piece, I used Mother Earth's All Natural Beeswax finish. This product had the biggest difference from other furniture wax I have used. It is made with three simple ingredients: beeswax, olive oil and carnauba wax. It has absolutely no chemical smell at all. The other waxes I have used are so stinky, I use a respirator mask and latex gloves to protect myself. I also found it was easier to get even coverage, and I used way less of this product, too. It creates a really natural looking finish, but I still feel like my paint is well protected.
natural beeswax furniture finish

Robin was kind enough to send me some brushes to try out as well. Both of the brushes are made with 100% natural bristles. They worked perfectly with the paint, and I enjoyed using the flat one for the wax application in tandem with a clean, soft cloth. They are pretty reasonably priced compared to competitor brushes. I have some brushes that cost $60, and these are right up there with them in quality.
affordable chalk paint brush

Mother Earth Paints are sold at independent retailers across the country. You can find your closest retailer by visiting their Retailers section on their Site. If you don't have a retailer near you, Studio 1404 in Kansas City sells the products online. The Mother Earth Paints Site is under going some renovations right now, but should be offering online sales soon. Here is a list of the paint line's offerings and their Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (prices will vary from vendor to vendor): 

Paint Sample jars - 4 oz      $ 8.95
Paint Quart - 32 oz              $34.95  
Satin Topcoat Finish            $17.95              
Beeswax finish - 6 oz          $13.95     
                         -12 oz         $23.95
Metallic waxes                     $11.95
Brushes small                      $14.95  
               med                       $21.95  
               large                      $24.95

I hope you will stop by Mother Earth Paints and check them out. Tell them Pretty Distressed sent you. I had a lot of fun trying them out. Happy painting!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I will try this alternative to the expensive Annie Sloan brand. I am new to the chalk painting process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really amazing the furniture looks great. Your collection is great. These types of furniture are not available easily. Thanks for sharing such information. Generally we buy Oak furniture because it has great durability and strong wood.home advisor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you. check over here

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice room furniture color. Good work on this post! I really like the way you delivered your qualitative facts and how you made this fascinating and effortless to realize. Thank you!! handyman orlando

    ReplyDelete

09 10