Thursday, October 16, 2014

Preparing a Gender Neutral Nursery

For those of you that might have missed my recent post, we are expecting our third child next April. Like we did with our daughter, we decided to keep the gender of the baby a surprise until his/her arrival. 

There is something very magical about being in the hospital with the anticipation of not knowing if you are about to meet your daughter or son. A little bonus is that it drives our family crazy. Is it wrong that we love to hear them complain and moan about having to wait? Maybe we are a little power hungry or something. 

Like I said, we did the same thing with our daughter, but I have learned a lot this time around. I waited until after she was born to put together her nursery. Since I had a boy already, I knew I wanted to do a totally girly and pink room if I had a girl, so I didn't do one thing to the nursery except get a white crib and changing table. I figured I would have time to put it all together once baby came. I must have been totally delusional. 

It took me about six months to get her nursery together, and in the meantime, I sat in utter chaos and a very starch, uninviting room to feed her three times a night. It just added to an already draining and difficult season. One thing I am sure of this time around is that I want a completed, cozy and soothing room when I bring our little baby home, so I can enjoy those late night feedings and snuggles without obsessing about needing to complete the nursery. And since I have one boy and one girl, I am a lot more open to having a gender neutral nursery.

I am going to bring you along for the ride as I plan and design my gender neutral nursery. Here is the first of many inspiration boards. I already have a baby blue upholstered and oh so comfy  chair and ottoman, so I am working on incorporating that into my color scheme. I could always make a slipcover for it, but my initial research proved that is going to be a time consuming project that I am not sure I want to commit to just yet. So here is my first thought...
The idea is too get the majority of this done before baby arrives. I think this idea leans a little more to the manly side, but I could add more girly accessories if needed. Here is some more great inspiration from around the Web incorporating the navy, baby blue, red color scheme featured in this inspiration board. 
By Georgette Westerman from Project Nursery
By Abbie at M is for Momma
I will be back throughout my pregnancy to share other ideas, but in the meantime you can follow my Gender Neutral Nursery board on Pinterest for more inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. I love those colors! How did you make the little idea collage? A special program I'm guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are going on my blog list so i don'y miss a thing!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

09 10